Sunday, January 23, 2011

EDAD 536 Day one reflection

First of all, I want to thank Tim for intellectually stimulating our minds on such a beautiful sunny day!

Our class discussion raised more questions for me than answers;

1.  How can we provide a world class education for all students given the inequities of technology in our schools?
2.  How do we balance the use of technology in schools?  What is middle school, high school appropriate?
3.  How much is too much technology?
4.  What's the difference between a blog, twitter, facebook, my space, etc?  Why so many?
5.  Technology grants.  What's out there?  How can we access them?
6.  What WEB based programs are available to students?
7.  What technology tools and resources are available a little or no cost for classroom use?

This is my first blog ever.  The more I learn about technology, the more I realize I don't know.  Technology can be very intimidating!  Just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. I have many of the same questions that you have. The inequity piece is very obvious in many districts. Although I know that districts do not want this, it is a fact that is visible to students, community and staff each time they visit another school. During this difficult economic time, it is even less likely that this will change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology can be very intimidating!
    I agree completely. I am the "education guy" in a company full of tech geeks (I mean that in the kindest possible way). I often find myself sitting a room full of very bright folks that are speaking a completely different language (and not just when I am overseas). One of my big challenges is trying to figure out how to make the best academic use of technology...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great questions! Many we'll get to throughout the class. My favorite is number 3. That's always my question...let's not do tech for tech's sake. Let's do tech when it's appropriate to do tech!

    ReplyDelete